When you're looking at your roof, you may notice a few dark spots or mold growth that make it look dirty. Your roof is your home's first line of defense against the outside elements to keep your home safe. Just like the interior of your home needs to be cleaned, your roof needs regular cleaning too. Below is an explanation of why you need to clean your roof.
Dirt & Grime
- Algae can appear as black stains. The more shaded your roof is, the more likely algae are going to grow.
- Fungus can grow in addition to algae and is tough to remove since it can quickly reappear with humidity and rain.
- Moss can begin to grow in damp, shaded areas of your roof that continue to have debris fall and act as a food source for the moss.
- Algae feeds off of asphalt, making your asphalt shingles the perfect food source for the algae to continue to grow and spread. Algae stains can also absorb heat, making your attic warmer, and heating up your shingles which makes your shingles deteriorate faster.
- Fungus can infiltrate your shingles and cause them to break down your shingles over time.
- Moss can make your shingles begin to lift and curl on the edges, lowering your shingles' ability to protect your home from the outdoor elements. Moss also has the ability to retain and release moisture, making your roof more susceptible to wood rot and leaks.
- Mold is also able to grow on your roof which can not only damage your roofing materials but also pose a health risk to you and your family.
- Keeping your roof clean will allow it to look beautiful and increase your curb appeal.
- You will get more bang for your buck by your roof having an extended life by keeping your shingles and other roofing materials in great condition.
- Having intact shingles allows your home to stay energy efficient by being able to retain heated and cooled air produced by your air conditioner.
Every roof needs regular cleaning to keep it in great condition. Roof It Forward can provide a free video roof inspection to identify any problem areas and create a game plan on how to regularly clean your roof. Schedule your free inspection today.